Pages

The '90s are Back!


So it looks like its official: the ‘90s are back with vengeance! It has slowly been coming to the surface for a while now with fashion pieces inspired by the decade trickling into our high street stores, but it wasn’t until the queens of the ‘90s, The Spice Girls, took to the stage at the Olympic Closing Ceremony that I was convinced that this ‘90s resurgence was official.  

Take a look around, it’s almost as if we've been transported back twenty years. No Doubt have reformed, double denim and neon denim are acceptable once again, crop tops aren't just for five-year-old's or ladies of the night any more  and who would have thought that the printed leggings that I was rocking in 1997, would one day be relevant again.

Now I am a child of the ‘90s and don’t get me wrong I loved the decade- The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Clueless, Oasis to name just a few of my great loves but one thing I was never sure about was the fashion. I mean come on, wasn't this the decade that taste forgot? But the Autumn/Winter 2012 catwalks were covered in ‘90s memorabilia from grunge to hip hop street wear and Henry Holland carried this through to his Spring/Summer 2013 show Buzz Kill packed with printed dungarees and a punchy ‘90s soundtrack along with it. And the more I saw people in the street, on catwalks or in magazines rocking ‘90s inspired staples the more I realised that it was, in fact, a pretty great time for fashion (probably minus my printed leggings let’s be honest!)

My greatest fashion must have from the ‘90s has to be grunge inspired pieces. I have realised how effortless and cool this look (when done right!) can be. And as much as I hate to admit it, Miley Cyrus has become the poster kid for bringing back ‘90s grunge a la Kurt Cobain to the mainstream.  She has, over the last few months, been rocking some seriously cool outfits and with her sassy attitude, a stylist (or two) and millions in the bank has nailed this look perfectly.

Take this outfit for instance, Miss Cyrus embodies ‘90s grunge down to the last detail – check out that jewellery!



I've been searching on the high street and found some pretty cool stuff too, that I cannot wait to buy and become a slightly better dressed version of my ‘90s self! Zig-a-zig-ahh!
Flannel shirt from ASOS

Bralet top from Topshop



Dungarees from Urban Outfitters

Vintage denim shorts from ASOS

Boots from H&M